The basic guidelines are as follows:
- To Divorce you must have been married for at least a year.
On 6 April 2022, there was a significant change in divorce law for England and Wales. It's the first change for 50 years. The changes mean that instead of needing to prove the other party is at fault, there is now no requirement to assign fault when filing for divorce.
- Couples can make joint applications, or one person can apply.
- 20 week 'cooling off' between application & Conditional Order (previously called the Decree Nisi)
- then a further 6 weeks 'cooling off' period before you can apply for your decree absolute
- No Blame - the party only has to state that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.
- Cannot be contested.