Words to the Wise
Moving home can be a very stressful period in your life, which does not need to be added to by a poor conveyancing service, so please consider the following before you appoint your conveyancer.
Is the quote provided, broken down in the following way:-
- Conveyancing Cost (the fee the conveyancer is charging you for their services);
- Searches (these are required by lenders to ensure that their investment is structurally safe. Cash purchasers don’t need to have searches done or could elect for search insurance);
- Land Registry charges;
- Bank/admin charges;
- VAT (please make note that Land Registry costs do not attract VAT)
- If you are borrowing money or taking out a mortgage, did your Mortgage/FA (Financial Advisor) ensure that you understood that they can only recommend a conveyancer, not insist on you using theirs (from whom they may also get a commission). This is so you can ‘shop’ around to choose for yourself.
- If you get a quote on a Fixed Fee basis, check the small print of the terms & conditions.
- Do you get a pledge that should your matter fail due to circumstances outside of your control, there is no Conveyancers fee to pay?
- Do you get a FREE ‘Countdown to moving’ schedule?
- Are you allocated a specific member of staff to handle your move from start to finish?
Remember your rights:
If you request a quote from a conveyancer by phone/email/web then you are allowed a 14 day ‘cooling off’ period from the date of the quotation. To speed up your move, you can elect to waive this right.
IT’S NOT ALWAYS THE COST THAT IS IMPORTANT BUT ALSO THE QUALITY OF THE SERVICE.